Are you looking for an amazing summer experience on the water? As a lifeguard at summer camp, you will be working at the pool and/or lake to ensure campers and staff are safe as they enjoy the camp waterfront. Often lifeguards also live as counselors in bunks with campers. Experience lifeguarding preferred but not always necessary for a strong swimmer.
A responsible, enthusiastic, and energetic person who wants to spend their summer acting as a mentor and role model for kids while ensuring safety at all times is what summer camps are looking for.
You will work, play, and live in a structured outdoor environment as a summer camp lifeguard or waterfront specialist, emphasizing a sense of fun, family, friendship, and belonging. Duties include:
- Ensure campers are safe in and out of the water at ALL times
- Participation in staff orientation and training before camp begins
- Enforce camp aquatic safety practices
- Assist with setting up and closing of aquatics facilities
- Assist with routine maintenance of aquatics facilities
- Evaluate the aquatic abilities of individual campers
- Assist with required record keeping
- Being a role model for children
- Guide children through their summer activities in a positive, fun, and healthy manner
- Supervise and lend assistance to campers, with an emphasis on safety
- Carrying out duties assigned by supervising staff
- Enjoying summer camp!
Typical Summer Camp Lifeguard Requirements
- Must be available to work from early-mid June through mid-late August, depending on the camp program hiring
- At least one year of college, high school diploma
- A love for children
- Current Red Cross (or equivalent) Lifeguard Certification or willingness to obtain certification upon employment.
- Previous experience as a lifeguard with knowledge of aquatic rescue and safety techniques preferred
- Flexible attitude with strong skills working in a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to problem solve and exercise independent judgement
- Friendly, empathetic attitude
- First aid- and CPR certifications are a big plus
- Must be able to pass a drug and/or background test according to camp policies and local laws
- Experience and passion for caring for children and young adults
General Summer Camp Lifeguard Salary
Typically, summer camp counselors can expect to make $300 – $400 a week during the summer, or around $1,400 for a typical 4-week session, and $2,100 – $3,200 for a typical 7-8 week session. Salaries depend on credentials and experience and vary from one camp organization to the next.
Typical Camp Lifeguard Job Benefits and Information
- Begins in early-mid June, about a week before camp is in session, and ends when camp ends or just after, usually in mid-late August for a 7-8 week program.
- Communal housing
- All food and meals provided
- Paid days off
- Staff only SWAG
- Internet access
- Laundry facilities
- Valuable leadership experience
- Networking within large and diverse staff and alumni communities
Summer Camp Lifeguard and Waterfront Positions
Fill out the short application below to submit your resume to our summer camp partners!