Full-time, year-round summer camp staff positions typically include Assistant and Associate Directors, Program Directors, Campus Leaders and Administrative Directors. Specific position responsibilities will vary, but each will have similar functions. Year-round staff work to further the mission of camp through the planning and delivery of camp programs and staff training, and assist in the management of camp operations. Year-round staff typically report to and take direction from the Camp Director(s).
Typical Essential Functions:
- Manage seasonal summer staff, including bunk leaders, program specialists and lifeguards
- Recruitment of summer camp staff
- Staff training
- Off-season facility and event coordination
- Lead camp programs and activities
- Assist with administration and communication before, during and after each camp session.
- Answer parent inquiries and send out communications
- Collect, organize and help distribute camper and staff mail and manage store accounts
- Assist with bunk assignments, first and last day logistics and session cleanup
Typical Full-Time Staff Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree and experience working at a summer camp
- Proficiency in leading and developing a team of staff
- Experience interviewing, hiring and supervising staff
- Must be able to obtain and become certified in CPR/First Aid, AED
- Knowledge of ACA guidelines is a plus
- Must be able to live on-site June-August
- No criminal record, must be able to pass a drug and/or background test according to camp policies and local laws
- Be independent, self-motivated and organized
- Ability to work and maintain composure in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to problem solve and exercise independent judgement
- Friendly, empathetic attitude
- Demonstrate physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day
- Ability to lift and carry 30-50 pounds, visual ability to identify and respond to environmental hazards
The location, programs offered, facilities, and operating dates of camps will vary, but for full-time staff, there are similarities across most summer camps. Typical to American summer camps…
Housing & Living Arrangements:
Year-round and leadership staff are typically housed in private rooms or cabins on-campus.
Working Hours & Compensation:
The work schedules for leadership staff vary depending on the position and the camp. Summer, in-session hours are long—10 hours per day or more, six days per week. Off-season hours are Full-Time, typical business hours. During camp session, split shifts and varying hours are often both possible. You will have the opportunity to interact with campers, other staff, utilize the amenities, or simply unwind and take in the lovely surroundings on your free time.
Room and board is 100% covered during summer session. During off-season, leadership staff will typically be located near the off-season office, or may have remote working options available.
Salary depends on the specific program, location and experience. Typical leadership position salaries range between $35,000/year – $60,000/year.
Season and Hiring Length:
The typical US summer camp season lasts from the beginning to the middle of June until the middle to the end of August, with summer on-site duties lasting an average of 9 to 11 weeks. Vacation time after the conclusion of the camp session is typical, but may vary from program to program.
Summer Camp Year-Round and Leadership Staff Positions
Fill out the short application below to submit your resume to our summer camp partners!
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING:
- AVAILABILITY REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be available for the whole summer (early-mid June through mid August) to be considered.
- AGE REQUIREMENT: Applicants must have completed at least one year of college/university OR are of equivalent age to be considered.