Are you ready for an amazing summer experience full of memories that will last a lifetime? Sleep away camps usually begin hiring for general camp counselor positions in the January prior to summer. Applicants are encouraged to get their applications in much earlier than that!
A responsible, enthusiastic, and energetic person who wants to spend their summer acting as a mentor and role model for kids is what summer camps are looking for.
You will work, play, and live in a structured outdoor environment as a summer camp counselor, emphasizing a sense of fun, family, friendship, and belonging. Responsibilities include:
- Ensure campers are safe at ALL times
- Participation in staff orientation and training before camp begins
- Plan or manage activity schedules for groups of campers
- Lead recreational and educational activities
- Being a role model for children
- Guide children through their summer activities in a positive, fun, and healthy manner
- Supervise and lend assistance to campers, with an emphasis on safety
- Assisting campers in personal care and hygiene
- Carrying out duties assigned by supervising staff
- Enjoying summer camp!
Typical Summer Camp General Counselor Requirements
- Must be available to work from early-mid June through mid-late August, depending on the camp program hiring
- At least one year of college, high school diploma
- A love for children
- Leadership: Counselors must be able to guide children through their summer camp experience in a healthy and positive way
- Flexible attitude with strong skills working in a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Friendly, empathetic attitude
- First aid- and CPR certifications are a big plus
- Must be able to pass a drug and/or background test according to camp policies and local laws
- Experience and passion for caring for children and young adults
General Summer Camp Counselor Salary
Typically, summer camp counselors can expect to make $400 – $600 a week during the summer, or around $2,000 for a typical 4-week session, and $2,800 – $4,800 for a typical 7-8 week session. Salaries depend on credentials and experience and vary from one camp organization to the next.
Typical Camp Counselor Job Benefits and Information
- Begins in early-mid June, about a week before camp is in session, and ends when camp ends or just after, usually in mid-late August for a 7-8 week program.
- Communal housing
- Paid days off
- Staff only SWAG
- Internet access
- Laundry facilities
- Valuable leadership experience
- Networking within large and diverse staff and alumni communities
Summer Camp Counselor Positions
Fill out the short application below to submit your resume to our summer camp partners!