Staff members at summer camps have the chance to lead and participate in a wide range of activities, including a waterfront with a pool and lake, a high ropes course and other outdoor activities, many forms of art, sports, and much more! You will make friends from all over the world, spend your days hanging out with kids, and coming up with entertaining events and programs to keep campers excited and engaged.
A responsible, enthusiastic, and energetic person who wants to spend their summer acting as a mentor and role model for kids, while teaching and developing skills in traditional camp activities is what summer camps are looking for.
You will work, play, and live in a structured outdoor environment as a summer camp activity specialist, emphasizing a sense of fun, family, friendship, and belonging. Safety of campers and the community is always the top priority. Duties include:
- Ensure camper safety at ALL times
- Participation in Staff Orientation and training before camp begins
- Guiding children through your designated activities and/or sports
- Assist with setting up and closing of facilities
- Assist with routine maintenance of facilities
- Assist with required record keeping
- Carry out duties assigned by supervising staff
- Have fun!
Typical Activity Specialist Positions include:
- Sports and Athletics – Coaching, Instruction, Team Sports, Individual Sports, Fitness
- Waterfront, Aquatics – Lifeguards, Swim Instructors, Boat Operators, Waterskiing and Wakeboarding, Sailing, Fishing
- Outdoor Adventure – Hiking, Camping, Ropes Courses, Zip-Lining, Rock Climbing
- Fine Arts – Painting, Drawing, Ceramics, Woodworking, Textiles, Cooking, Crafts
- Performing Arts – Theater/Drama, Dance, Music, Recording
- STEM and Technology – Media, Video/Radio Production, Rocketry, Robotics
- Equestrian / Horseback Riding – Instructors, Stable Management
Typical Camp Specialist Requirements
- Must be available to work from early-mid June through mid-late August
- High School Diploma or age equivalent
- Previous experience/expertise in preferred activity area/s
- A passion for caring for and guiding children and young adults
- A healthy, positive and flexible attitude with strong teamwork skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- A friendly and empathetic attitude
- First aid and CPR certifications are a big plus
- Must be able to pass a dug and/or background test according to camp policies and local laws
General Camp Activity Specialist Salary
Typically, summer camp counselors can expect to make $300 – $400 a week during the summer, or around $1,400 for a typical 4-week session, and $2,100 – $3,200 for a typical 7-8 week session. Salaries depend on credentials and experience and vary from one camp organization to the next.
Typical Camp Lifeguard Job Benefits and Information
- Room and Board
- Food and Meals Provided
- Paid Days Off
- Staff Only Gear
- Laundry Facilities
- Valuable Leadership Experience
- Networking within a Large and Diverse Staff and Alumni Community
Summer Camp Activity Specialist Positions
Fill out the short application below to submit your resume to our summer camp partners!